Header Ads

10 MUSIC ARTISTS YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT


This year my taste in music has evolved so much. Last year I was all about the Asian music scene and don’t get me wrong, while I still love all those genres, these days I’m leaning towards music that has chill beats and deep lyrics. To be honest, I don’t even know what to call this style or genre of music but I think that it’s what’s been missing from the music world lately. Songs that make you think, make you feel, songs that you can connect with. The following artists all have unique sounds, styles and amazing but what I deem underrated music that definitely deserves more attention.


JESSIE REYEZ



The first song I heard from Jessie was “Figures” and not the original version, the alternate version where she is accompanied by the incredible Daniel Caesar. The powerful lyrics mixed with passionate vocals is enough to make you cry. Honestly, that’s the case with all her songs. She sings about such relevant topics and not always romance related. Lots of her music talks about her struggles in the music industry and she even has one song where she calls out a music producer for sexual misconduct. 



Some of my favorite songs from Jessie are Shutter Island, Imported,Hard to Love and Apple Juice. Ok, I listed 3 but really I haven’t heard a song from her that I didn’t love. She is definitely an artist to look out for!



P.S. Did I mention that this "Loca Colombiana" also has a couple songs in Spanish too? Even if you don't understand the language it's still worth a listen, trust me!



Check out her YouTube , Spotify and Instagram


BILLIE EILISH




Like Jessie, I heard one song from Billie, searched some of her other music and from then I was hooked. The only way to describe Billie’s voice is angelic. It is amazing that she is only 16 years old and able to write such profound songs. 


Ocean Eyes has to be one of the most beautiful songs that I have ever heard in my life. Her soft voice is enough to put you in a state of tranquility.



Billie managed to gain some popularity when the hit Netflix series “13 Reasons Why” used her music in the show and from there she has been gaining more and more traction. Some of my favorite songs from her include, idontwannabeyouanymore, bored and my boy.




Check out her YouTubeSpotify and Instgram


HOBO JOHNSON


Led by the incredible Frank, Hobo Johnson & The Lovemakers has to be one of the most creative and unique groups that I have ever come across. Casually scrolling through Facebook and I come across a post by Unilad calling this guy a “modern day Shakespeare” Of course my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to listen and I fell in love. It was like a story but in a song. It felt so real and so raw and that’s saying a lot for a song titled “Peach Scone”.


Frank writes and produces all his songs and he talks about several topics in such a poetic way that not only captures your attention but really makes you connect. My absolutely favorite song from them is “Romeo and Juliet”. There you really get some insight into the feelings of kids coming from divorced parents and he does so by relating his parents to Romeo and Juliet. Some of their other songs include Sex and The City, Crave Coeur and Father. Definitely unique and worth the listen!


 Check out their and his YouTubeSpotify and Instagram


QVEEN HERBY


A quite recent discovery for me, Qveen Herby captured me with her rhythmic music and smooth raps. Herby’s songs have that all around girl boss vibe backed up by unique beats. Her lyrics make you feel like you are indeed THAT B*TCH and you deserve the best. Her style changes a little from song to song which really shows off her talents and her ability to adapt to whatever beat or style of music she’s given.



Some of my favorite songs from her include, Nintendo, Alone, Wifey and Pray For Me. I am so excited to see what Qveen Herby has in store for us because I am so ready to be blown away even more by this talented gal!


P.S. If she looks familiar to you then you might just remember her from the duo Karmin!

Check out her YouTubeSpotify and Instagram



 OLIVIA O’BRIEN


Around the same time I discovered Billie Eilish, I discovered Olivia O’Brien. Mainly known for her song I hate you, I love you featuring Gnash, Olivia has so many songs that I personally consider hits. She has such a lovely voice and is able to easily reflect her thoughts and feelings into her music. Her music addresses topics such as depression, being the odd one out, heartbreak and so much more. Her songs are just perfect for when you have those long car rides home or just in your room alone with the lights off.


Some of my favorite songs from Olivia include Tequilawine, RIP, F**k Feelings, Empty and a more recent release Care Less More. 


Olivia is definitely a rising star who deserves every bit of success that comes her way and I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for her!


Check out her YoutTubeSpotify and Instagram


BLACKBEAR


When I tell you that Blackbear sings about everything, I mean everything. From drugs to heartbreak to groupies. He sings about it all. Some may say his songs are repetitive but I think that it’s just his style and that’s what is relevant to him so it’s what comes natural. I sometimes feel that Blackbear sings about things that other people would shy away from singing.  If he has to call out an ex for cheating with a celebrity he’d do it, without a doubt.



One thing I like about Blackbear’s music is the rawness and realness of it all. He never tries to hide his struggles or his feelings and I think it’s so refreshing to hear a male musician sing about things like that. It kind of reminds you that guys feel heartbreak, love, they hurt just like us girls too.


 Some of my favorite songs from Blackbear are “girls like u, I hope your whole life sux, I miss the old u, idfc and the ever so popular do re mi. Blackbear has also collabed with other artists on this list like Billie, Phoebe and Olivia and what’s better than having 2 of your favorite artists on one song. He also forms part of a group called Mansionz which also has some pretty dope songs too!


 Check out his YouTubeSpotify and Instagram


PHOEBE RYAN


I don’t know what it is but even when Phoebe Ryan sings about heartbreak, it makes you dance and sing and feel good…how is that even possible?  Phoebe has the old school Hollywood vibe and that innocent sounding voice and back that up with funky beats and you have the perfect song. I think the first time I heard Phoebe was when she collabed with Blackbear on a song called Forgetting All About You, where she basically talks about how forgetting about her ex was the most fun process because now she wakes up and watches cartoons, smokes weed and goes out and gets drunk hahaha, have you ever heard a breakup song like that? Me neither!


Some of my favorite songs from Phoebe include “James has Changed, Should I and Be Real”. I think Phoebe is so overlooked and underrated and deserves so much more attention and popularity. With a little more marketing and exposure I know that her big break will come!


Check out her YouTubeSpotify and Instagram


GNASH


Well known for his collab with Olivia O’Brien on I hate you, I love you, I think Gnash is the definition of an underrated artist. Maybe he doesn’t have that take your breath away voice but his ability to put complicated feelings into words is unbelievable. I love how male artists are less afraid and afraid of expressing their true feelings that they are usually expected to hide or keep themselves.




One of my favorite songs ever is Gnash’s “Dear Insecurity”. I heard it by accident while on Spotify one day and it has been on repeat ever since. The song talks about how we struggle with our self esteem and confidence and how we need to conquer them and control them and not them controlling us. It’s so perfect for those days when you don’t feel your best and you just need a little pick me up.


Some of my other Gnash faves include “imagine if, feelings fade and broken hearts club” I think if you like Blackbear you would definitely like gnash. His music is just so good and so relatable and just all around well made.




Check out his YouTubeSpotify and Instagram


 Love-SadKiD


If you aren’t familiar with the genre of music called Lo-Fi, well this is where to start. If his name doesn’t give you an idea about the topic of his music then I don’t know what will. Love-SadKid is like a lovesick rapper who was given a mic to bring his poetry to life and boy does he. He is well known for collaborating with various musicians who have similar styles. This is the music you want to listen to while studying or gaming or just when you wanna relax. I think in the LoFi world he has had a lot of popularity but I know he can go global and it’s only a matter of time before it happens.


Some of my favorite songs from him include stalemate, addicted and peachy although he has so many songs and so many collabs it’s impossible to choose just 3. Keep an eye out for him because I'm sure he’s going to be big soon!


Check out his YouTubeSpotify and Instagram



JEREMY ZUCKER


Possessing a similar style to Blackbear and Gnash, Jeremy Zucker is another male singer who isn’t afraid of expressing his feelings through words or touching about rarely talked about topics. Some of his most popular songs include “ all the kids are depressed , talk is overrated and better off”. 


I absolutely love his calm but deep style of singing. It’s a next artist that just has you connect to his lyrics and has you in all your feels. I really hope to hear more from Jeremy in the future because I know he has so much to offer us!



 Check out his YouTubeSpotify and Instagram


No comments

Powered by Blogger.